Monday 29 March 2010

The Hood

If we go out anywhere locally we always head south and go to either 'Cleveland Park' or 'Woodley Park' which are two neighbourhoods just a short walk away, heading toward the centre of DC.  They are both really cool areas with a lot of restaurants and bars.  I would say if we had a 'local' it would be Nanny O'Brien's which is an Irish bar in Cleveland Park.  Its not really very Irish apart from a bit of paraphenalia and I think an Irish music night on a Monday, which I have avoided! but its a decent little local pub. 


At the weekend we decided to walk north for a change...checked out one of the book shops we had been meaning to go to called Politics and Prose it was pretty good, really big and they often have authors in doing Q&As or readings - there was one going on while we were in there which sounded pretty good.  They also have book clubs and there is one at the moment for modern Japanese literature so I am thinking about giving it a go.



A bit further up the road is the American City Dinner & Cinema Cafe which we visited for lunch.  I loved it, it was really old school I have never been in one like this before its kind of like being in a super shiny aluminium trailer.  It was decked out with little booths and neon signs and had 50/60s classics playing.  I was very excited!


I tried my very first root beer, I really enjoyed it but can understand why others might not.  It tasted like dentyne chewing gum to me (which I really like) a bit medicinal, a bit cinnamony.  Teddy hated it - I guess its a marmite type of thing you are probably gonna love it or hate it.  Russell had a ChilliDog, you can hardly see the dog for all the chilli!



This place has a little extension type thing where there are a few more tables and chairs and they have a big pull down screen and they play a classic movie every night at 8.  So will defo be heading back there soon to catch a movie and have some more root beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment